Sunday, September 1, 2013

Literary Lacquers ~ If it pleases you



Literary Lacquers ~ If it pleases you
Plum/brown linear holographic

If it pleases you is from The Good Parts Collection - Erotic fiction from Fanny Hill to 50 Shades. I don’t care for 50 Shades at all, but I do care for a good holo, which is why I bought this polish in the first place.

When I received the polish I wasn’t sure that this was me at all. I mean, I couldn’t even decide what colour it was. But there is only one way to find out if I like it or not: Try it on!

It took three coats to make it opaque – I had hoped for two, but anyway. Drying time was pretty average. I liked the formula, the polish applied easily and evenly. I wore aqua basecoat as underwear, and didn’t experience dragging or other problems with application.

And here’s what the polish looks like in the sunshine:


Brown, purple and blue rainbows, I like that! I’m still indecisive about the colour though. Here’s another shot:


The holo effect is quite strong. Another plus! I am not satisfied with this polish though. Do you want to see why? This is what it looks like in the shadow:


Bleurgh… you know I’m not a fan of brown, murky colours. There’s no way I could wear it like this! So I grabbed a couple of other polishes and a striper brush. I painted a couple of blue vertical stripes on each nail first, using an Angel Cosmetics striper number 12, and then I surrounded each blue stripe with pink stripes, using Nabi Hologram “Flamingo” – a lovely pink holo.

And that helped. Here’s what the mani ended up looking like:


And another shot of it.


Here are the three polishes I used:


I think you’re able to tell that I’m not over the moon over this polish. The colour is too weird and murky for my likings. I need to find this polish a better home for sure. The other two can stay though :D

What do you think? Would you wear a polish that you loved in the sunshine but hated in the shadows?


Opacity: 5/10
Colour, prettiness: 3/10
Durability: 7/10
Value for money: 4/10
Overall: 4.75/10
Buy again: No

6 comments:

  1. What a strong holo effect in this one - looks fantastic with and without stripes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holo effect is great, but I definitely prefer this with the stripes, to tone down the brown in the mani! :)

      Delete
  2. I love it! I actually like holos that hide in the shade so I can freak people out when I get in the sun. This has been added to my wish list thanks to you lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the thought of freaking people out like that, lol! :D

      Delete
  3. Very unusual holo! I love it with stripes even more :)

    ReplyDelete